Sadio Mane is a professional football player from Senegal who currently plays as a forward for the Senegal national team and the German club, Bayern Munic, after recently moving away from Premier League club Liverpool.
He is renowned for his pushing, dribbling, and pace. Mane is recognized as one of the best players in the world and among the greatest African players of all time. Ogunwatch gathers a brief overview of his football career:
Mane began his professional career in 2011 with the Senegalese club Metz before moving to Austria to join Red Bull Salzburg in 2012. During his two seasons with Salzburg, he won two Austrian Bundesliga titles and was named the league’s player of the year in his second season.
In 2014, Mane transferred to the Premier League club Southampton, where he quickly established himself as a key player. He scored 21 goals in 67 appearances for the club and helped them reach the EFL Cup final in 2017.
In the summer of 2016, Mane joined Liverpool for a reported fee of £34 million, which at the time was a club record. He made an immediate impact, scoring on his debut and going on to score 13 goals in his first Premier League season with the club. He has since become a crucial part of Liverpool’s attack, forming a formidable trio with Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino. Mane helped Liverpool win the Champions League in 2019 and the Premier League in 2020, ending the club’s 30-year wait for a top-flight title.
Mane has also enjoyed a successful international career with the Senegal national team, helping them reach the final of the Africa Cup of Nations in 2019. He has scored over 20 goals for his country and is widely regarded as one of Africa’s best footballers.
Overall, Sadio Mane’s football career has been marked by his speed, skill, and goalscoring ability, which have made him one of the most dangerous attacking players in world football.
Sadio Mane at Liverpool
Sadio Mane has had a highly successful career at Liverpool since joining the club in 2016. Here are some of his major achievements:
- Premier League: Mane has won the Premier League with Liverpool twice, in the 2019-20 and 2021 seasons. He played a crucial role in both title-winning campaigns, scoring important goals and providing assists.
- UEFA Champions League: Mane played a pivotal role in Liverpool’s Champions League triumph in 2019, scoring crucial goals in the knockout stages of the competition. He also played in the final and helped Liverpool beat Tottenham 2-0 to win their sixth European Cup.
- UEFA Super Cup: Mane was instrumental in Liverpool’s UEFA Super Cup win in 2019, scoring twice in the final against Chelsea. He also scored in the penalty shootout to help Liverpool win 5-4.
- FIFA Club World Cup: Mane played a key role in Liverpool’s FIFA Club World Cup triumph in 2019, scoring a goal in the semi-final against Monterrey and winning the Golden Ball award for the tournament’s best player.
- Individual awards: Mane has won several individual awards during his time at Liverpool, including the Premier League Player of the Month award in August 2017 and March 2019. He was also named in the PFA Team of the Year for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons.
Overall, Sadio Mane’s achievements at Liverpool have been impressive, and he has established himself as one of the club’s most important players. His speed, skill, and goalscoring ability have made him a fan favorite and a key part of Liverpool’s success in recent years.
Mane transfers to Bayern Munich
In June 2022, Mane was officially taken into the German league leader, Bayern Munich after finalising a contract of transfer worth €41 million (£35m/$43m) with former team Liverpool, according to goal.com.
After the transfer, Mane became the second Senegalese national to get a Bayern Munich shirt, after current teammate Bouna Sarr.
As part of his achievements with the new bride, Mane came second to Karim Benzema in the 2022 Ballon d’Or vote, being the first African player to finish in the top three of the Ballon d’Or since George Weah did in 1995.