82 of 142 OOU students want the 2021/2022 academic calendar amended

Share Story

Students of Olabisi Onabanjo University have voted in a poll organized by Ogunwatch intended to ascertain the dominant reaction to the 2021/2022 academic calendar.

The University had released a memo announcing resumption on the 17th of October and commencement of first semester examination for November 28 (restricted to 300-500 lv). Between the time of filling this report and examination commencement date is 37 days within which lectures and revision must take place.

Considering the criticism met by the shortness of the academic calendar, Ogunwatch initiated a poll with the following words: “The management of Olabisi Onabanjo University has released a memo indicating the academic calendar for the 2021/2022 session. How do you feel about it? It’s fine for me, It must be adjusted, I just want to graduate.”

In the poll hosted on Twitter but widely circulated amongst OOU students’ social media circle, 142 people voted and the preponderance of opinion advanced the adjustment of the calendar with a 58% score. The rest of the 42% either wanted to just graduate or was fine with the calendar.

A student of Micro-biology who spoke to Ogunwatch said the shortness of the calendar was beneficial to the school management who needed to sell admission forms to new students.“It’s not bad, things have gone wrong from ASUU strike and we all know that the sch ought to have started the sale of another PUTME. So as a result of the strike and for the benefit of the finalist, I think it’s better.

Oyeyinka Elizabeth, a student of the English department, also commenting wished the academic calendar was adjusted: “It’s jam-packed and there isn’t any breathing space for we the students. I would be grateful if it can be adjusted a bit.

Speaking to a source within the school’s Student Union executives, Ogunwatch learned that the Calendar, although currently adopted by the school management, was still a draft copy which is subject to a high likelihood of altercation.


Share Article

Don't Miss